International Child Abduction Cases

Extensive Knowledge Of The Hague Convention

When a child's parents are divorced or separated and a parent desires to take the child out of the country, the courts in the child's country of residence must grant permission. If the parent does not obtain court approval and takes the child overseas or across borders anyway, it is considered abduction and can result in both civil and criminal charges. At Burger Green & Min LLP, in New York City, our attorneys frequently represent parents — both U.S. citizens and foreign nationals — in civil cases involving the Hague Convention and its U.S. counterpart, the International Child Abduction Remedies Act (ICARA).

If your situation involves the removal of a child from the United States to another country or vice versa, please contact our law firm. Our clients benefit from our in-depth familiarity with the international child custody provisions of the Hague Convention and our many years of experience handling these complex cases. We have represented parents seeking removal as well as those seeking the return of their children.

If your child has been taken from the United States, we will take immediate steps to bring him or her back as quickly as possible.

Our family law attorneys practice in both state and federal courts for international child abduction cases, as they can be handled at either level. We often receive referrals due to our strong track record of success in this sensitive and challenging legal area.

To discuss your needs with a reputable and highly experienced lawyer, call 212-681-6400 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.