Resolving International Family Law Matters

Family law issues are complex enough when they involve only New York courts and state statutes. Adding an international element increases the complexity tenfold. Whichever law firm you choose must have the sophisticated skill and knowledge base to effectively represent your interests both here and abroad.

Burger Green & Min LLP, is just such a firm. Based in New York City, we have in-depth experience resolving family law concerns that cross international borders. Both of our lawyers have been practicing for decades, and our reputation has won us many referrals from other attorneys and past clients. We are also willing to travel internationally.

Let us assist you with any of the following legal concerns:

  • Overseas divorce — Working with attorneys abroad, our firm represents individuals in New York who need to dissolve a marriage to someone in another country, and vice versa.
  • Child abductions and Hague appeals — In these sensitive and high-stakes cases, our lawyers combine strategy with prompt and decisive action.
  • Child custody and visitation — Developing parenting plans can be a challenge when one parent lives abroad. Our firm has experience in these matters.
  • International asset division — We are available to answer a wide array of questions regarding the division of foreign bank accounts, overseas real estate and other assets.
  • Prenuptial agreements — If you want to create a premarital agreement that will be valid in another country or another U.S. state, let our lawyers advise you.

Will Your U.S. Court Order Be Enforceable In Another Country?

Every country has its own laws regarding divorce and its attendant issues. In New York, for instance, it's possible to divide retirement accounts between divorcing spouses. France, on the other hand, will not allow it. France does require premarital agreements, but England doesn't accept them.

Because international laws vary so widely, it is critical to work with a law firm that understands whether a New York court's ruling may or may not be enforceable overseas.

Contact Burger Green & Min LLP, Today

We take a culturally sensitive approach while providing the dauntless advocacy that many clients require. Call Burger Green & Min LLP, at 212-235-1786 or send us an email today.